GEM’s fellowship programs span the entire recruitment, retention, and professional development spectrum. GEM’s principal activity is the provision of graduate fellowships at the MS and PhD levels coupled with paid summer internships . GEM also offers fellowships without paid summer internships through our GEM University and Associate Fellowship programs. There are two Ph.D fellowships available:
PH.D. ENGINEERING FELLOWSHIP
The objective of this program is to offer doctoral fellowships to underrepresented minority students who have either completed, are currently enrolled in a master’s in engineering program, or received admittance into a PhD program directly from a bachelor’s degree program. Fellowships may be used at any participating GEM Member University where the GEM Fellow is admitted.
PH.D. SCIENCE FELLOWSHIP
The goal of this program is to increase the number of minority students who pursue doctoral degrees in the natural science disciplines — chemistry, physics, earth sciences, mathematics, biological sciences, and computer science. Applicants to this program are accepted as early as their senior undergraduate year, as well as candidates currently enrolled in a Master’s of Engineering program and working professionals. Fellowships offered through this program are portable and may be used at any participating GEM Member University where the GEM Fellow is admitted.
Up to 5 years
- A $16,000 stipend in the first academic year of the GEM Fellowship.
- GEM Member University provides a living stipend up to the 5th year of PhD program, equivalent to other funded doctoral students in the department (funded by the student’s university).
- A minimum of one paid summer internship with a GEM Employer Member.
- Full tuition and fees up to the fifth year of the Ph.D. program.
- Be a senior, masters student, or graduate of an accredited engineering or applied science program at the time of application.
- Be a member of an under-represented groups in science and engineering as defined by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics: American Indian/Native, African American/Black, or Hispanic American/Latino.
- Be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident at time of application.
- Directly apply to a minimum of three (3) GEM Member Universities STEM graduate departments.
- Be admitted into a GEM Member University graduate program before the GEM Fellowship is awarded.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0/4.0.
- Contractually agree to intern with a GEM Employer member the Summer immediately after sponsorship.