This PhD program in Chemistry is designed for students who have earned a bachelor’s or a master’s degree in chemistry and who wish to earn a doctorate in chemistry degree.
In The News
The PhD program is designed for students who have earned a bachelor’s or a master’s degree in chemistry or related areas and who wish to earn a doctorate in chemistry. The program of study includes some course work, but the primary emphasis is on the completion of an original research project, its articulation in a well-written thesis, and its subsequent defense before the thesis (oral examination) committee. The PhD program is a full-time degree program that typically takes five years to complete. Financial support (teaching assistantships or research assistantships) is normally provided for students throughout their period of study if they are found to be making satisfactory progress toward their degree in accordance with departmental and university guidelines.
- Boston location ideally positioned in the heart of the Biotechnology Supercluster and Medical Hub
- Students eligible for financial support in the form of Teaching Assistantships (TAs) or Research Assistantships (RAs)
- Use-inspired research projects in materials, energy, and drug discovery are closely linked with industry via partnerships and collaboration
- Departmental research funding is greater than $16 million, across multiple disciplinary foci
- Home to the Barnett Institute of Biological and Chemical Analysis, a premier analytical chemistry institute, and the Northeastern University Center for Renewable Energy Technology
Our graduates pursue careers within academia and beyond.
- Paul scherrer Institute
- Merck Research Laboratories
- Bristol-Meyers Squibb
- Lang Pharmaceutical Nutrition
- Empiroko Inc.
- Stanford University
- Corden Pharmaceuticals
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Online application
- Application fee
- Unofficial transcripts for all institutions attended
(Official transcripts required upon acceptance of admission offer)
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation
- GRE scores
- Proof of English Proficiency for all applicants (from one of the following):
- Degree earned or in progress at a U.S. institution
- Degree earned or in progress at an institution where English is the only medium of instruction
- Official exam scores from either the TOEFL iBT, IELTS, or PTE exam