The PhD program in Ecology, Evolution, and Marine Biology will train independent scientists whose research addresses fundamental and applied questions at the local, regional, national, and global scale.
In The News
Northeastern’s PhD program in Ecology, Evolution, and Marine Biology prepares graduates to be leaders in their field. A research-based program focused on original research, students have the opportunity for close collaboration with peers and faculty as well as numerous opportunities to teach, and share their knowledge through outreach programs locally and internationally.
Program faculty expertise spans many disciplines including: coastal sustainability, global change biology, marine robotics, fisheries science and policy, coral reef ecology, and social and ecological coupling. Course offerings in bioinformatics, environmental engineering, and environmental management allow students to gain broad expertise in use-inspired research.
- Bachelor’s and Master’s entry are available
- Students prepare and defend a written dissertation
- Faculty’s research areas are numerous
- State-of-the-art lab facilities located in Nahant, MA, a peninsula surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean
- Significant inter-lab collaboration encouraged and supported by the university
- Opportunities to TA for courses in Panamá and Washington state through the Three Seas Program
Our graduates pursue careers within academia and beyond.
- Tufts University
- Emory University
- University of Rhode Island
- Rutgers University
- Michigan State University
- New England Biolabs
- Knauss Fellowship Program
- Online application
- Application fee
- Unofficial transcripts for all institutions attended
(Official transcripts required upon acceptance of admission offer)
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation
- GRE scores
- Proof of English Proficiency for all applicants (from one of the following):
- Degree earned or in progress at a U.S. institution
- Degree earned or in progress at an institution where English is the only medium of instruction
- Official exam scores from either the TOEFL iBT, IELTS, or PTE exam