The PhD program in Marine and Environmental Sciences will train independent scientists whose research addresses fundamental and applied questions at the local, regional, national, and global scale.
Northeastern’s PhD program in Marine and Environmental Sciences trains high-caliber and independent scientists whose research addresses fundamental and applied marine and environmental science questions at local, regional, national, and global scales. Our students will apply their research to address issues of relevance to society and the environment. In addition to training students to conduct world class research, we aim to prepare them to effectively communicate their findings broadly. We foster opportunities to develop teaching skills and communicate knowledge through outreach programs locally and internationally, so that students hone these essential skills.
To align their studies with their academic and career goals, students select one of the following 4 concentrations: Marine Sciences, Geosciences, Sustainability Sciences, and Ecology & Evolutionary Biology. While research interest may be focused, the academic experience is enriched by providing access to faculty with a wide range of expertise such as coastal sustainability, geology, marine biology, biogeochemistry, global change biology, marine robotics, fisheries science and policy, coral reef ecology, and social and ecological coupling.
- Bachelor’s and Advanced-degree entry are possible
- Students prepare and defend a written dissertation
- Faculty’s research areas are numerous
- State-of-the-art lab facilities located in Nahant, MA, a peninsula surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean
- Significant inter-lab collaboration encouraged and supported by the university
- Opportunities to TA for courses in Panamá and Washington state through the Three Seas Program
Our graduates pursue careers within academia and beyond.
- Tufts University
- Emory University
- University of Rhode Island
- Rutgers University
- Michigan State University
- New England Biolabs
- Knauss Fellowship Program
- Online application
- Application fee
- Unofficial transcripts for all institutions attended
(Official transcripts required upon acceptance of admission offer)
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation
- GRE General – recommended, but not required
- Proof of English Proficiency for all applicants (from one of the following):
- Degree earned or in progress at a U.S. institution
- Degree earned or in progress at an institution where English is the only medium of instruction
- Official exam scores from either the TOEFL iBT, IELTS, or PTE exam