Are you a talented student from a historically underrepresented minority group with a STEM degree? If so, STARS Fellowships are available to help you earn a doctorate. Apply now to the Strategic Advancement of Rising Scholars (STARS) Fellowship Bridge to the Doctorate program funded by the National Science Foundation.
Northeastern is a global, experiential R1 research university with selective PhD programs that prepare students to become knowledge creators in high-demand fields. All programs are distinguished by outstanding faculty, resources that foster interdisciplinary study, and research that is use-inspired – designed to address urgent societal challenges.
Accepting applications for Fall 2020 now!
STARS Fellows receive these resources:
- Two full years of PhD Fellowship funding plus an additional three years of additional support through research and teaching assistantships.
- Tuition, fees, Health insurance and a $32,000 stipend annually
- Funds for travel and participation in national conferences
- Professional and career development
- Faculty advising and a mentoring support network
Positions open until filled.
- US Citizen or permanent resident
- Participants shall be from one or more traditionally underrepresented groups
- Participated in an LSAMP program as an undergraduate student
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a STEM field
- Acceptance into an eligible STEM graduate program at Northeastern University – applicants are encouraged to apply for this Fellowship concurrently
- Intention to pursue a PhD in a STEM discipline
- Visit phd.northeastern.edu/program to explore degree programs
- Complete the PhD Fellowship interest form below
- Apply to the graduate program of interest using link below
- Application fees will be waived for eligible students
- Applications will be accepted until positions are filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit all of their materials (this form and the regular online application form) in the first two weeks of January. Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
Apply for the STARS PhD Fellowship funded by the National Science Foundation
Following your submission, you will be redirected to a website that describes the Northeastern PhD Network. You may return to this page by accessing phd.northeastern.edu/lsamp-stars.
The STARS Fellowship program is funded by the National Science Foundation LSAMP Bridge to the Doctorate Program (NSF Award #HRD-1812412), which is committed to engaging students from historically underrepresented minority groups (African American, Native American, and Latino) in graduate study within science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields of study.