The Northeastern PhD Network is an organization designed to build community among PhD students, and to provide them with support and resources university-wide that will enhance the educational experience and career preparation.
Initiated in 2017, as part of a two-year process, the PhD Network consolidates Northeastern’s many strengths for the benefit of student research, education, and careers, and to direct resources to these priority areas:
- Travel funding and professional development;
- A centralized resource to assist PhD students navigate the many support services related to career preparation, diversity issues, housing, child care and other family needs, and physical and mental health; and
- Additional and complementary support to Northeastern’s growing experiential and interdisciplinary PhD programs.
The PhD Network is the result of a two-year planning process involving the entire Northeastern community. At the behest of the Faculty Senate and University Provost, a PhD Joint Task Force—two PhD students and eight faculty members—engaged faculty, staff, and more than half of all PhD students through surveys and town-hall style meetings to identify opportunities for Northeastern PhD students.
A key Task Force recommendation was to enhance education and research programs for PhD students by complementing, not replacing, the many existing programs and activities.
We encourage your engagement in making Northeastern a global leader in distinctively excellent PhD education. Please explore this site and share your ideas, reactions, and news.
We look forward to you participating in and benefiting from PhD Network activities during the 2017–2018 academic year.
Task Force Members
- Jane Amidon, Professor and Associate Dean, College of Arts, Media and Design
- Tim Bickmore, Professor, College of Computer and Information Systems
- Elizabeth Dillon, Professor and Chair, College of Social Science and Humanities
- Ranjini Ghosh, PhD Candidate in Law and Public Policy; President, Graduate Student Government
- Phil He, Associate Vice Provost, Graduate Education
- Karin Lifter, Professor and Chair, Bouve College of Health Sciences
- Carla Mattos, Professor, College of Science
- Fernando Suarez, Jean C. Tempel Professor, D’Amore-McKim School of Buisness
- Sara Wadia-Fascetti, Professor and Associate Dean, College of Engineering
- David Ignatius Walsh, Bioengineering PhD ‘16; Vice President, Graduate Student Government