The Hertz Fellowship provides financial and lifelong professional support for the nation’s most promising graduate students in science and technology.
Up to five years
Up to $250,000
Option 1: Funding from the Hertz Foundation Only
- $34,000/nine-month personal stipend
- Full tuition equivalent
- Renewable annually for up to five years
- $5,000/year stipend for fellows with dependent children
Option 2: Coordination with Another Awarding Institution
If you receive a fellowship, scholarship, or grant offer from another institution, we’ll coordinate with that institution to make sure you can take advantage of each offer and receive the maximum possible compensation.
All eligible applicants must:
- be college seniors, first-year graduate students, or in a gap year preparing to apply to graduate school;
- intend to pursue a PhD in the applied physical and biological sciences, mathematics, or engineering;
- intend to direct their studies toward understanding and solving major, near-term problems facing society; and
- be citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
We do not award fellowships to applicants pursuing professional degrees other than a PhD, such as an MD, JD, MBA, DPH, or DVM. However, we will support the PhD portion of an MD/PhD program.