The PhD program in chemical engineering offers students the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research that tackles pressing challenges facing our society and our planet in areas such as biomedicine, energy, security and sustainability.
In The News
Students pursuing graduate-level coursework develop an in-depth understanding of the fundamental principles of chemical engineering and gain expertise in modern topics in the field through select elective courses. The overarching goal of this rich research and educational experience is to mentor and to equip our students to become future leaders in engineering and science, while simultaneously promoting scholarly achievement for both the faculty and students.
Doctoral candidates select thesis topics from a diverse range of faculty research interests. The department’s research focus areas are Biomolecular and Biomedical Systems; Complex and Computational Systems; Energy and Sustainability; Engineering Education and Pedagogy; and Materials and Nanotechnology.
With a premier location in downtown Boston, research in the department leverages the wealth of collaborations with neighboring universities, hospitals, medical centers and industry. New or prospective graduate students can learn about ongoing research topics from individual faculty members, faculty web sites and graduate student seminars. Graduate student seminars, where our students present the results of their research, are held on a regular basis and provide an interactive forum for learning and exchanging ideas.
- MS students can pursue a Gordon Engineering Leadership Certificate
- Department research interests include Biomolecular and Biomedical Systems; Complex and Computational Systems; Energy and Sustainability; Engineering Education and Pedagogy; and Materials and Nanotechnology. Graduate students are able to select thesis topics from a diverse range of faculty research interests.
Our graduates pursue careers within academia and beyond.
- Millipore Sigma
- Northrop Grumman
- Takeda Pharmaceuticals
- Completed online application form
- $100 application fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all institutions attended
- Statement of Purpose
- TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo for international applicants