The PhD level program in Civil Engineering at Northeastern University is flexible and may be adapted to any subject area in civil and environmental engineering, including interdisciplinary options within the department or across departments or colleges.
In The News
The PhD program has two components: (1) An academic program of graduate-level courses that provides depth in a specific area of civil engineering (the major field) as well as other course work that provides additional exposure at an advanced level to one or more disciplines; and (2) the dissertation, an extended independent research effort on a relevant technical problem resulting in an original contribution to the field.
Funding is available for graduate students focused on research in the form of graduate research assistantships, graduate teaching assistantships, and fellowships.
- The department offers Graduate Fellowships to PhD and MS/PhD applicants
- The PhD in Civil Engineering can be combined with a Gordon Engineering Leadership certificate
- Use basic engineering concepts flexibly in a variety of contexts.
- Formulate a research plan.
- Communicate orally a research plan.
- Conduct independent research.
Our graduates pursue careers within academia and beyond.
- Midea Corporate Research Center
- Hacettepe University
- Roger Williams University
- Merrimac College
- Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
- AIR Worldwide
- Risk Management Solutions
- StreetScan LLC
- Completed online application form
- $75 application fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all institutions attended
- Official GRE scores
- Statement of Purpose
- TOEFL or IELTS for international applicants
Fall Semester Entry:
Deadline for Assistantship Consideration for Domestic and International Applicants: January 15
Deadline for International Applicants: April 15
Deadline for Domestic Applicants: August 1
Spring Semester Entry:
Deadline for International Applicants: September 15
Deadline for Domestic Applicants: November 15Apply Now Request Info