The PhD level program in Civil and Environmental Engineering at Northeastern University is flexible and may be adapted to any subject area in civil and environmental engineering, including interdisciplinary options within the department or across departments or colleges.
In The News
The coming decades will represent a crucial time as climate change, urbanization, and technological progress profoundly reshape the ways in which we live and work. Northeastern’s strategic focus on urban engineering prepares students for these challenges and opportunities through research and education in sustainable resource engineering, civil infrastructure security, and environmental health.
The PhD program has two components: (1) An academic program of graduate-level courses that provides depth in a specific area of civil and environmental engineering (the major field) as well as other course work that provides additional exposure at an advanced level to one or more disciplines; and (2) the dissertation, an extended independent research effort on a relevant technical problem resulting in an original contribution to the field.
Funding is available for graduate students focused on research in the form of graduate research assistantships, graduate teaching assistantships, and fellowships.
- The department offers Graduate Fellowships to PhD and MS/PhD applicants
- The MS in Civil Engineering and MS in Environmental Engineering can be combined with a Gordon Engineering Leadership Certificate
- The PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering can be combined with a Gordon Engineering Leadership certificate
Upon completion of their graduate degree, Northeastern CEE students have excellent career opportunities. Our students have gone on to positions in:
Academia (University of Massachusetts, University of Vermont)
National laboratories (Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory)
Industry (AIR Worldwide, CDM Smith, CH2M Hill, start-up firms.)
- Completed online application form
- $100 application fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all institutions attended
- Statement of Purpose
- TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo for international applicants