The PhD level program in Civil Engineering at Northeastern University is flexible and may be adapted to any subject area in civil and environmental engineering, including interdisciplinary options within the department or across departments or colleges.
In The News
The coming decades will represent a crucial time, as climate change, urbanization, and technological progress profoundly reshape the ways in which we live and work. Northeastern’s strategic focus on urban engineering prepares students for these challenges and opportunities through research and education in sustainable resource engineering, civil infrastructure security, and environmental health.
The PhD program has two components: (1) An academic program of graduate-level courses that provides depth in a specific area of civil and environmental engineering (the major field) as well as other course work that provides additional exposure at an advanced level to one or more disciplines; and (2) the dissertation, an extended independent research effort on a relevant technical problem resulting in an original contribution to the field.
Funding is available for graduate students focused on research in the form of graduate research assistantships, graduate teaching assistantships, and fellowships.
- The department offers Graduate Fellowships to PhD and MS/PhD applicants
- The MS in Civil Engineering and MS in Environmental Engineering can be combined with a Gordon Engineering Leadership Certificate
- The PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering can be combined with a Gordon Engineering Leadership certificate
- Use basic engineering concepts flexibly in a variety of contexts.
- Formulate a research plan.
- Communicate orally a research plan.
- Conduct independent research.
Upon completion of their graduate degree, Northeastern CEE students have excellent career opportunities. Ours students have gone on to positions in:
Academia (University of Massachusetts, University of Vermont)
National laboratories (Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory)
Industry (AIR Worldwide, CDM Smith, CH2M Hill, start-up firms.) Other companies and organizations where our graduates work are-
- Midea Corporate Research Center
- Hacettepe University
- Roger Williams University
- Merrimac College
- Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
- AIR Worldwide
- Risk Management Solutions
- StreetScan LLC
- Completed online application form
- $75 application fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all institutions attended
- Statement of Purpose
- TOEFL or IELTS for international applicants
- Applicants seeking enrollment prior to the Fall 2023 term should apply through this link.
Fall Semester Entry:
Deadline for Assistantship Consideration for Domestic and International Applicants: December 15
Deadline for International Applicants: May 15
Deadline for Domestic Applicants: August 1
Spring Semester Entry:
Deadline for International Applicants: September 15
Deadline for Domestic Applicants: November 15
Applicants seeking enrollment prior to the Fall 2023 term should apply at the link under application materials below.Apply Now Request Info