Northeastern’s PhD program in Computer Engineering offers the opportunity to pursue cutting-edge research in the following areas: computer architecture, parallel computing, fault tolerance, performance analysis and modeling, security, embedded systems, VLSI, algorithms, data mining, testing, machine learning, machine vision and software engineering.
In The News
Northeastern offers a PhD in Computer Engineering (PhDCE) that is completely research based with minimal and flexible course requirements which can be pursued as full-time or part-time. As a computer engineering student at Northeastern you will study computer architecture, software engineering, computer-aided design (VLSI), microprocessor-based design, and applied algorithms.
In addition to a broad background in mathematics, physics, and chemistry, this curriculum gives you solid foundation in both hardware and software design. RISC microprocessors, object-oriented Java and cellular networks are just three of the technologies you will encounter in the program.
In the past ten years the internet has revolutionized all aspects of our lives, from the way we communicate to the way we do business. Wireless communication, online commerce, medicine, and multimedia are examples of new applications that have transformed our world. Computer engineers developed the fundamental technologies that made the web possible, including high performance microprocessors, gigabit networks and object-oriented computer languages. Demand for computer engineers has increased dramatically in recent years. Students with a strong background in computer engineering are aggressively recruited by cutting edge computer companies nationwide.
The ECE department offers a variety of graduate courses giving students flexibility of planning their course requirements according to their research requirements and personal interests. Many of graduate courses are offered in two sections; in-class and streaming video. Part-time students and full-time students who have schedule conflicts can register in the streaming video sections.
- Can be combined with a Gordon Engineering Leadership certificate
- Northeastern ECE is the host or major partner in nine state-of-the-art research centers
- Financial support available
- Internationally-recognized Internships & Co-op opportunities
- Professional Development Workshop Series to complement the research and classroom experiences
- Northeastern ECE is a research powerhouse in the Boston area and beyond
- The ability to use basic engineering concepts flexibly in a variety of contexts.
- Ability to formulate a research plan.
- Ability to communicate orally a research plan.
- Ability to conduct independent research.
With the large number of high-tech firms in and around Boston, both start-ups and large multinational corporations, many PhD students do an internship during their program while remaining right here in Boston. Often their advisor is instrumental in identifying the internship position, with a funding sponsor or research collaborator, be they in Boston or elsewhere in the United States. Internships can be informally arranged for several months at any time during the calendar year, and PhD students can also take advantage of the more formally arranged co-op program which entails 6 months of work experience preceded by several professional development courses to prepare students.
Our graduates pursue careers within academia and beyond.
- Ditto Labs
- Lousiana Tech University
- Draper Laboratories
- National Institutes of Health
- Bose Corp.
- The Mathworks
- Completed online application form
- $75 application fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all institutions attended
- Official GRE scores
- Statement of Purpose
- TOEFL or IELTS for international applicants
- Applicants seeking enrollment prior to the Fall 2023 term should apply through this link.
Deadline for Assistantship Consideration for Domestic and International Applicants: December 15
Deadline for International Applicants: May 15
Deadline for Domestic Applicants: August 1
Spring Semester Entry:
Deadline for International Applicants: September 15
Deadline for Domestic Applicants: November 15
Applicants seeking enrollment prior to the Fall 2023 term should apply at the link under application materials below.Apply Now Request Info