The PhD in Computer Science prepares students for careers in academia and industry—from conducting research to developing systems to publishing and presenting papers.
The rigorous curriculum of the PhD program provides a broad background in the fundamentals of computer science, advanced courses in your focus area, and an intensive research experience. As a PhD student, you’ll work with our world-class faculty on engaging research projects with the benefit of our location in Boston, and access to collaborations with researchers at innovative companies, tech startups, state-of-the-art labs, and dynamic universities.
- Admitted PhD students are guaranteed full tuition scholarship and are supported with stipends or fellowships for the first five years of their program
- Student may enter with a Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science
- The Khoury College of Computer Sciences offers a diverse range of research areas including Artificial Intelligence, Broadening Participation in Computing, Data Science, Human-Centered Computing, Software, Systems/Security, Theory, Visualization and Games.
- Research at the Khoury College of Computer Sciences has received funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF) and National Institute of Health (NIH), and private-sector funding from companies like Mozilla, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and Apple
- Boston location is a hub for healthcare, education, finance, business, biotechnology, and the life sciences
Our CS PhD graduates and postdocs have found success in industry and academia including:
Tenure Track Faculty at:
- Indiana University
- UC Irvine
- University of Maryland
- University College London
- NC State University
- UMass Boston
- City University of Hong Kong
Postdoc and research scientists at:
- University of Paris
- Virginia Tech
- Microsoft Research
- GE Global Research
Senior software engineers and industry leaders at:
- Online application and fee
- Unofficial undergraduate/graduate transcripts (you can submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended at the time of admission)
- Statement of purpose that should include career goals and expected outcomes and benefits from the program
- Recent professional resume listing detailed position responsibilities
- Three confidential letters of recommendation
- Official GRE General Test scores are waived for Fall 2023
- Proof of English Proficiency for all applicants (from one of the following):
- Degree earned or in progress at an U.S. institution
- Degree earned or in progress at an institution where English is the only medium of instruction
- Official exam scores from either the TOEFL iBT, IELTS, or PTE exam
- Applicants seeking enrollment prior to the Fall 2023 term should apply through this link.
Applicants must submit the online application and all required admission materials no later than the stated deadlines to be considered for admission. Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis.
Applicants are reviewed annually for admission each Fall Term:
- December 15
Applicants seeking enrollment prior to the Fall 2023 term should apply at the link under application materials below.
Apply Now Request Info