This PhD in Industrial Engineering degree combines research with industry leaders and real world experience to prepare for a career in research, academic or business professions.
In The News
The Mechanical and Industrial Engineering graduate department offers a doctor of philosophy in Industrial Engineering. This advanced degree combines research with industry leaders and real world experience to prepare for a career in research, academic or business professions.
This PhD is awarded to students who demonstrate high academic achievement and research competence in the fields of mechanical or industrial engineering. To earn a PhD, a student must complete an approved, rigorous program of advanced course work and submit and defend an original dissertation of independent research. The mechanical and industrial engineering (MIE) department expects all successful doctoral candidates to show depth of knowledge and research innovation in their chosen field of specialization.
- The ability to use basic engineering concepts flexibly in a variety of contexts
- Ability to formulate a research plan
- Ability to communicate orally a research plan
- Ability to conduct independent research
Our graduates pursue careers within academia and beyond.
- Seattle’s Children’s Hospital
- Sonos, Inc.
- Pepsi Co.
- Deghat Co.
- Massachusetts institute of Technology
- Citicorp Credit Services
- Norfolk Southern
- King Abdulaziz University, Saudi Arabia
- Johns Hopkins University
- California State University, Long Beach
- Completed online application form
- $75 application fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all institutions attended
- Official GRE scores
- Statement of Purpose
- TOEFL or IELTS for international applicants
Fall Semester Entry:
- Deadline for Assistantship Consideration for Domestic and International Applicants: January 15
- Deadline for International Applicants: April 15
- Deadline for Domestic Applicants: August 1
Spring Semester Entry:
- Deadline for International Applicants: September 15
- Deadline for Domestic Applicants: November 15