The PhD in Mechanical Engineering is awarded to students who demonstrate high academic achievement and research competence in the fields of mechanical engineering. To earn a PhD, a student must complete an approved, rigorous program of advanced coursework and submit and defend an original dissertation of independent research.
In The News
The PhD is awarded to students who demonstrate high academic achievement and research competence in the fields of mechanical or industrial engineering. To earn a PhD, a student must complete an approved, rigorous program of advanced coursework and submit and defend an original dissertation of independent research. The mechanical and industrial engineering (MIE) department expects all successful doctoral candidates to show depth of knowledge and research innovation in their chosen field of specialization.
The MIE department admits applicants to the PhD program either directly after earning a suitable bachelor’s degree or after earning a master’s degree. Upon acceptance into the program, an applicant is designated as a doctoral student. This designation is changed to doctoral candidate upon successful completion of the doctoral qualifying examinations (both written and oral area exams) as well as all the required course work.
- The PhD in Mechanical Engineering can be combined with a Gordon Engineering Leadership certificate
- Both Bachelors and Advanced Degree entry are available
- Students submit and defend an original dissertation of independent research
- The ability to use basic engineering concepts flexibly in a variety of contexts
- Ability to formulate a research plan
- Ability to communicate orally a research plan
- Ability to conduct independent research
Our graduates pursue careers within academia and beyond.
- Seattle’s Children’s Hospital
- Sonos, Inc.
- Pepsi Co.
- Deghat Co.
- Massachusetts institute of Technology
- Citicorp Credit Services
- Norfolk Southern
- King Abdulaziz University, Saudi Arabia
- Johns Hopkins University
- California State University, Long Beach
- Completed online application form
- $75 application fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all institutions attended
- Official GRE scores
- Statement of Purpose
- TOEFL or IELTS for international applicants
- Degree in Engineering or Applied Physics
- Applicants seeking enrollment prior to the Fall 2023 term should apply through this link.
Fall Semester Entry:
- Deadline for Assistantship Consideration for Domestic and International Applicants: December 15
- Deadline for International Applicants: May 15
- Deadline for Domestic Applicants: August 1
Spring Semester Entry:
- Deadline for International Applicants: September 15
- Deadline for Domestic Applicants: November 15
Applicants seeking enrollment prior to the Fall 2023 term should apply at the link under application materials below.