Students studying pharmaceutical sciences will be thoroughly exposed to the fundamentals of physical pharmacy and pharmaceutics and trained in several specialized areas, including:
· Novel drug delivery systems
· Nanomedical technologies
· Biopharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics
With exposure to these facets of the pharmaceutical sciences, successful graduates are poised to understand and assimilate the field of modern pharmaceutics. A PhD degree in pharmaceutics is a research degree. While coursework plays an important role, students become active participants in the science of pharmaceutics in the laboratory. Faculty research in pharmaceutical sciences covers a broad range of scientific interests, including pharmacokinetic toxicodynamics of anticancer agents; use of novel biomaterials and synthetic polymeric systems in designing small-molecule drug delivery systems for small molecules, proteins, and nucleic acids; passive and active targeting of therapeutic agents for cancer and cardiovascular diseases; novel delivery systems for immunostimulating purposes; and mathematical modeling of endogenous compounds.
In The News
A PhD in pharmaceutics is a research degree. While course work plays an important role, students become a real participant in the science of pharmaceutics in the laboratory. Faculty research covers a broad range of scientific interests, including pharmacokinetic toxicodynamics of anticancer agents, use of biomaterials and synthetic polymeric systems in design of drug delivery systems, passive and active targeting of therapeutic agents, cardiovascular targeting of drugs, novel delivery systems for proteins and peptides, and mathematical modeling of endogenous compounds.
The interdisciplinary option is intended to meet the needs of students interested in combining courses and skills from two areas of specialization. At least one of the specialization areas must come from within the college. The second area may come from a department in another college at Northeastern University, such as biology, chemistry, or engineering. Students electing the interdisciplinary option must fulfill the same requirements as all other PhD candidates.
Our graduates pursue careers within academia and beyond.
- World Pharmaceuticals
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Novartis Vaccine
- Sanofi Genzyme
- Alnylam Pharmaceuticals
- Italia, Inc.
- Waters Inc.
- Genentech, Inc.
- EMD Serono
- Malinckrodt Pharmaceuticals
- Dicernal Pharmaceutical
- National Institute of Standars and Technology
- Novartis Institute for Biomedical Research
- Columbia University Medical Center
- Application fee
- Three letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all institutions attended
- Personal Statement
- TOEFL or IELTS for applicants who do not hold a degree from a U.S. institution and whose native language is not English
- A baccalaureate degree or its equivalent in biology, chemistry, medical technology, pharmacy, chemical engineering or a related field.
- At least two semesters undergraduate courses (or their equivalent) in each of the following: mathematics (including calculus), biology, physics, and organic chemistry.
- Official GRE scores