Our PhD in Political Science covers four fields: American government, comparative politics, international relations, and public policy. The curriculum introduces students to all four fields, though each student will concentrate on a primary and secondary field.
In The News
The curriculum introduces students to all four fields: American government, comparative politics, international relations, and public policy and additionally, develops their research skills through a series of interdisciplinary methodology courses.
Our students learn how to develop and conduct ground-breaking research in their own chosen areas of specialty. They master the relevant literature and engage with a range of theories central to political processes, institutions, actors, and ideas in the core scholarly areas of political science. They also have the opportunity to develop expertise in a range of methods from archival research and interviews to statistical analysis and machine learning.
Learn more about the PhD program in Political Science from the College of Social Sciences and Humanities.
- All doctoral students receive a five-year stipende graduate assistantship
- “PoliTea” – doctoral student-led professional development sessions, often in collaboration with departmental faculty, to enhance student publishing, research and teaching
- Departmental and University funding is available for doctoral students’ participation in professional conferences and other skills training programs in the U.S. and abroad
- Opportunities for students to participate in internships, field research, and other experiential learning activities
Our graduates pursue careers within academia and beyond.
- Tufts University (post-doctoral fellowship)
- Marlboro College
- London School of Economics (post-doctoral fellowship)
- University of Lisbon (post-doctoral fellowship)
- Defense Intelligence Agency
- Centre College
- Center for International Relations and Sustainable Development
- Framingham State University
- Colorado Community College
- Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce
- Emmanuel College
- Arcadia University
- Zhejiang Gongshang University
- Application fee – US $75.00
- Personal statement
- Unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended (Official transcripts required upon matriculation)
- English proficiency for international applicants
- GRE not required for the upcoming 2022 admissions cycle
- Three letters of recommendation
- Writing sample