Our PhD in Political Science covers four fields: American government, comparative politics, international relations, and public policy. The curriculum introduces students to all four fields, though each student will concentrate on a primary and secondary field.
In The News
The program also develops a student’s research skills through a series of methodology courses. This curriculum then acts as a foundation for our PhD candidates in the writing and defending of their dissertations. The PhD program prepares students as practitioners, researchers, and teachers.
The Doctor of Philosophy in Political Science is grounded in the core fields of the discipline—American government, comparative politics, international relations, and public policy. Through a combination of theoretical foundations and practical applications, our PhD program prepares students as scholars, teachers, and practitioners. Doctoral students concentrate on a primary and secondary field, while also developing core skills in research. The curriculum provides a foundation for our PhD candidates in the writing and defending of their dissertations. The program prepares students to be academic scholars and teachers as well as practitioners in research and public service.
Learn more about the PhD program in Political Science from the College of Social Sciences and Humanities.
- “PoliTea” – doctoral student-led professional development sessions, often in collaboration with departmental faculty, to enhance student publishing, research and teaching
- Departmental and University funding is available for doctoral students’ participation in professional conferences and other skills training programs in the U.S. and abroad
- Opportunities for students to participate in internships, field research, and other experiential learning activities
Our graduates pursue careers within academia and beyond.
- Tufts University (post-doctoral fellowship)
- Marlboro College
- London School of Economics (post-doctoral fellowship)
- University of Lisbon (post-doctoral fellowship)
- Defense Intelligence Agency
- Centre College
- Center for International Relations and Sustainable Development
- Framingham State University
- Colorado Community College
- Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce
- Emmanuel College
- Arcadia University
- Zhejiang Gongshang University
- Application fee – US $75.00
- Personal statement
- Unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended
- English proficiency for international applicants
- GRE not required for the upcoming 2021 admissions cycle
- Three letters of recommendation
- Writing sample